my name :)

Meaning of Seo yeon

Koreans usually name using ancient Chinese letters
My name was named by my grandfather before I was born

The Seo is () meaning sacred. The sound it self is “seong” but for sake of pronunciation, our family decided to go by Seo ().

The Yeon is () meaning beautiful. The sound is just “yeon”.

My name shows my grandparents’ and my parent’s wish for me to grow up sacred- our family is Christian- and beautiful- outside and inside.

 

My name is the most common name for Korean girls born in my year. So in school I found ATLEAST 2 students in my class with the name Seo yeon of Seo hyeon. Every time I go pass through the hallway in Korea and someone calls “Seo yeon” four or five people turned around.

 

Having a common name also caused some funny situation. Once, I received a wrong mail but I did not realize it until I saw the address since the receiver had the same name as me!

Also, once my teachers got mixed up with me and Seo yeon “Lee”. They were talking about my brother and the other teacher who did not know me, thought the other teacher was talking about Seo yeon that he knew!

 

However there is good parts about having a common name

When I have to make new friends they find remembering my name easy, since they already have a friend with the name “Seo yeon”

 

I am very proud and thankful of my name- seo yeon- 서연


 

댓글

  1. Wow. Your family really brainstormed while naming you.
    And Happy Birthday! Have a great day.

    답글삭제
  2. I know how it feels to get your name mixed up with others! In fifth grade there were three "Mariam"s and a "Marian", so it was sometimes confusing when people spoke about any of us.

    답글삭제

댓글 쓰기

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Fictional Interview with Lady Gaga - fictional interview with an artist who impacted the society

What is the value of preserving indigenous language?

English Lang&Lit Sept1