Stereotypes of non-native English speakers

In our class, we discussed about the essay: Mother tongue.

The essay was very skillfully written to make the readers angry about the truth of ignorance towards the non-native English speakers. It first talks about funny and light experience of getting ignored due to poor English- in a very sarcastic way- and then, Tang directly talks about a really intrusive happening. When the readers are put into a situation of contrast, they are more likely to feel more emotion.

For this tactfully written anecdote, I got interested in the subject of “stereotypes of non-native English speaker”.



This topic was very interesting for me as I, myself, is not a native English speaker. Luckily, I studied in the States for a long time which made me possible to speak English as my second “native” language. However, for my mom she cannot speak English fluently.

The “Mother Tongue” written by Tang, was actually very gripping for me. Tang’s mother and my mom are very similar. Both do not know how to “speak” fluently; however, both have very complex minds and knowledge. When reading the essay, I felt very angry at the doctors who ignored Tang’s mother for her “broken English” because my mom had many similar experiences like that for also her “broken English”. Back in the States, when my mom went to my school to get some files, they “refused” and kept telling her that the files are not available to the parents. Yet, when my dad, who is comparably fluent at English, came to get the files afterschool, the all of sudden became nice and polite.
I was wondering why and apparently, there were reasons to it: stereotypes.
I searched up on internet and found some absolutely stupid ones;
1.     Non-native English speakers are stupid
2.     Non-native English speakers have funny accents
3.     Non-native English speakers are poor

I was quite surprised after realizing these mindless stereotypes!

I hope that in near future, people will have more chance of having to learn different language, and that more people will start to respect others not from how they speak, but how they think.


Thank You J

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Fictional Interview with Lady Gaga - fictional interview with an artist who impacted the society

What is the value of preserving indigenous language?

English Lang&Lit Sept1